We already know about cannabis’s medicinal properties for a host of conditions including autoimmune diseases, depression, pain relief and even when folks need a boost in motivation. The applications for cannabis in our daily lives are fast becoming part of the mainstream.
But there’s still a lot we don’t know about cannabis, and there are plenty of areas that need further research and focus. For example, did you know that cannabis may increase the quality of your sexual experiences?
Cannabis & the Endocannabinoid System
Cannabis contains more than 100 different cannabinoids, and these cannabinoids interact with the receptors of the endocannabinoid system (ECS) in our bodies. There are ECS receptors in different parts of the body including the:
- Vascular system
- Immune system
- Reproductive organs
The ECS also has an influence on cognition, emotion and feelings of euphoria.
Is Cannabis Good or Bad for Sexual Health?
There have been claims for a long time about cannabis’s ability to enhance sex and boost libido; many cultures have used cannabis as an aphrodisiac for centuries.
On the flipside, there are often stories about how cannabis use can hurt sexual health, like the claim that men using cannabis have trouble conceiving, because of low sperm count and premature ejaculation.
But a recent study on the association between marijuana, semen quality and semen count reveals that cannabis consumption may not be as detrimental to sperm cell development as previously thought. So, which side of the argument is correct?
Well, our bodies are so incredibly complex that it’s hard for researchers to be able to pinpoint what exactly causes changes in our sexual health. Aside from biological factors, different aspects contribute to sexual experiences in different ways. Orgasm, arousal and attraction also play different roles.
Cannabis, the ECS & Sexual Arousal
The ECS plays a major role in sexual functioning. A study revealed substantial interaction between endocannabinoid concentrations and female sexual arousal, indicating that cannabis, which interacts with the ECS, may influence this aspect of sexual health as well.
Again, more research into the topic is required in order to determine cannabis’s exact role and how this can be used to help with sexual dysfunction in both men and women.
5 Marijuana Strains That Can Make Sex More Fun & Fulfilling
When it comes to taking cannabis for a health condition, there’s no way to prescribe an exact dose and kind of cannabis, because it all depends. That is, it all depends on how you react to cannabis, your past sexual encounters, the mood that you’re in and your hormone levels. All of this contributes to the fact that marijuana is highly individual, and what works for one person may not work for another.
But here are some cannabis strains that could help you experience a healthy and fulfilling sex life. Hopefully, you’ll find one that suits your exact needs in the moment, so that you can take your sexual experience to the next level.
- Bubba Kush: This indica strain may work for those long, sexy nights. The perfect thing to relax the mind and muscles, Bubba Kush will mellow you out and let you reach a tender, restful orgasm. Be sure to keep some sexy bedtime snacks nearby (strawberries and whipped cream, anyone?) because this strain also stimulates appetite.
- Jah Goo: Another relaxing marijuana strain, Jah Goo will ease muscle spasms and cramps while uplifting you with musky pine and berry scents. This could be the preferred cannabis strain for folks seeking pain relief, a relaxing body high and mild cerebral stimulation before sex.
- Green Crack: If you’re looking for more energy when you’re between the sheets, try the cannabis strain Green Crack for a boost of sociable energy and euphoria. It also gives mental clarity for better focus and multi-tasking, so there’s room to get creative.
- Northern Lights: An old friend to many, Northern Lights is one of the most popular cannabis strains around. It’s a hybrid marijuana strain with hints of lemon and earthy pine. Consumers report that Northern Lights will calm the mind and body while raising levels of euphoria. This highly adaptable strain may leave you seeing northern lights and fireworks.
- Sour Diesel: Another favourite among regular marijuana consumers, Sour Diesel is a sativa cannabis strain with a high THC content for strong effects. The immediate buzz is perfect for a sexy evening, and may spark creativity, enhancing the fun. Be sure to take Sour Diesel in moderation for best results; paranoia and the jitters are the opposite of what you need for some nighttime fun.
Be Sure to Try Out Your Marijuana Strain Before You Hit the Bedroom
Trying out cannabis for sex before the actual fact to see how you and/or your partner react is a good way to go. Heading into an intimate sexual experience can be scary, and the wrong cannabis strain may heighten these feelings, especially given the potential overwhelming nature of certain cannabis strains.
For the best sex-on-cannabis experience, take all of your and your partner’s needs into account and consume cannabis in moderation. Experiment to find the best cannabis strains and consumption methods for you and then go from there.
Photo credit: Lucky Business/Shutterstock.com