Canada Day is just around the corner, bringing with it fireworks, festivities and the perfect opportunity to catch up with friends and family.
The only thing missing? Some cannabis.
We’ve rounded up some of the best marijuana strains and consumption methods to help you get in the festive spirit and make the most of Canada Day 2018.
Watching Canada Day Fireworks With Cannabis
Fireworks have become synonymous with Canada Day, with just about every major city in the country putting on dazzling pyrotechnic displays. While the fireworks shows are entertaining in their own right, they’re truly mesmerizing when experienced after consuming cannabis.
The effects of cannabis on vision are still not fully understood. But some studies suggest that cannabis affects our visual information processing. One animal study even concluded that cannabinoids seemed to “improve visual contrast sensitivity under low-light conditions.” So, that could make for some pretty vivid fireworks against a dark night sky.
Canada Day fireworks shows are usually very busy affairs. So, if you do want to consume marijuana at one of these events, keep it discreet and opt for a marijuana edible or a portable cannabis vaporizer.
Best Marijuana Strains for Watching Canada Day Fireworks
- OG Kush: This THC-dominant indica marijuana strain has a reputation for making consumers feel relaxed and euphoric. But beware that OG Kush can be heavy hitting, so start low and go slow, or you might end up napping by the time the fireworks start.
- Chemdawg: Another THC-heavy strain, Chemdawg is famous for inducing laughter and a sense of euphoria. Chemdawg is a great option if you want to spend Canada Day laughing and socializing with friends as fireworks erupt overhead.
Enjoying Canada Day Parades, Festivals & More
Local communities across the country put on a range of parades, carnivals, festivals and music concerts in celebration of Canada Day. If you’re planning to attend one of these events, there’s a good chance that cannabis will help you appreciate the festivities that little bit more.
This is particularly true if there’s music involved. According to a 2011 functional magnetic resonance imaging study, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) can affect how you process and respond to auditory stimuli. This may explain why some folks describe having transformative experiences while listening to music after consuming cannabis.
Parades attract crowds of people. Similar to fireworks events, you can avoid unwanted attention at your local Canada Day parade by sticking with cannabis edibles or a vaporizer.
Best Marijuana Strains to Consume During Canada Day Parades
- ** Sour Diesel:** This energizing sativa is an excellent option for social occasions. Sour Diesel is great for sparking creative thoughts, potentially giving you a deeper appreciation for the music at a parade.
- Jack Herer: Named after a famous cannabis activist, Jack Herer is a sativa-dominant cannabis strain, which can help you immerse yourself in the festivities without clouding your mind. It’s a well-balanced strain that can uplift mood without overwhelming the consumer, perfect for daytime activities like taking in a parade, festival or carnival.
RELATED: CANADA'S BEST 420 CELEBRATIONS
Incorporating Cannabis Into Your Canada Day Camping or Hiking Trip
Planning on reconnecting with nature this Canada Day? Whether you’re hiking into the wilderness or camping in the mountains, make sure there’s room in your backpack for some cannabis-infused treats.
Cannabis can give you a better appreciation for nature while alleviating some of the aches and pains you might pick up along the way on your outdoor adventure.
Any consumption method that doesn’t require bulky, heavy or fragile equipment will be a good option for consuming cannabis in nature. Go for a cannabis edible as other methods like smoking could pose a fire risk.
Best Cannabis Strains for a Camping or Hiking Trip
- Blue Dream: Featuring a blueberry flavour and an uplifting, energetic high that isn’t overly intense, Blue Dream imparts an even high that’s a hit with cannabis newbies and experienced consumers alike. This is a great option for a group camping or hiking trip on Canada Day.
- Northern Lights: If you're looking for a way to unwind and help your body recover after a tough hike, this indica-dominant strain is great at alleviating pain and promoting relaxation. Northern Lights has fairly strong sedative effects, so make sure to wait until you reach camp before consuming.
How Cannabis Can Help With Your Canada Day Hangovers on July 2
If you choose to have a few drinks on Canada Day, it's possible you could wake up the next morning with a hangover. While cannabis can’t exactly cure a hangover, it can help alleviate some of the symptoms.
Cannabis is well-known for:
Marijuana vaporizers and edibles are easy, reliable options for consuming cannabis when you’re not feeling well. Smoking cannabis could induce a coughing fit, which would be especially uncomfortable during a hangover.
Best Cannabis Strains for Hangovers
- Cannatonic: Featuring a 3:1 CBD:THC ratio, Cannatonic is one of your best options when it comes to treating the symptoms associated with hangovers. Consumers report the strain is energizing, eases pain and imparts a gentle head high.
- ** Granddaddy Purple:** An indica-dominant hybrid, Granddaddy Purple contains a healthy amount of CBD and is known to release stress, ease pain and improve your overall mood.
Canada Day is a fun and exciting occasion to celebrate the birth of our beautiful country. From Victoria, B.C. to St. John's, NL, Canadians from a variety of communities and backgrounds are proudly united on this holiday.
Whether you plan to attend a fireworks show or parade in your city, embark on an outdoor adventure or spend time at home with friends and family, there's no doubt that cannabis can help make your Canada Day celebrations extra fun and relaxing.
Photo credit: GoToVan