Cannabis-infused hot chocolate: The warm-me-up winter treat that you’ve been missing out on this whole season. Luckily, there are still a couple months of winter weather left, and if we’re being honest, a cup of hot chocolate is just as pleasant on a cool spring night.
Cannabis-infused hot chocolate is a tantalizing sweet treat that will help you unwind after a day of braving the cold. Here’s everything you need to know about making perfect hot chocolate along with the ins and outs of adding cannabis to your hot beverage.
Choose Quality Chocolate for Your Cannabis-Spiked Hot Chocolate
Of course, you can go with a pre-packaged cocoa mix, but in order to make the best hot chocolate, you’ll want to make it from scratch. High-quality cocoa powder will add a rich chocolate taste, but actual chocolate is what really makes this recipe a winner.
We’ve included both bittersweet chocolate and milk chocolate in this recipe. Chocolate often has higher cocoa butter content than cocoa powder does, giving it an extra creamy, rich taste. And it’s less likely to form clumps.
For the dairy element, we’ve gone with milk and whole cream. The cream achieves a luscious, creamy taste. But if you want to go with a lighter version, feel free to simply use your favourite kind of milk. That said, cannabinoids are fat soluble, so to get the most out of your ingested cannabis, it’s a good idea to include some fat in your recipe.
To truly personalize your hot chocolate, feel free to add toppings like marshmallows, chopped up bits of chocolate or sprinkles.
What Kind of Cannabis Should I Choose for My Hot Chocolate?
A big question that you probably have by now: How do I know what type of cannabis to use for an infused hot chocolate?
Marijuana contains terpenes, which are aromatic oils that cannabis flowers, as well as other fruits, vegetables and flowers produce. These terpenes are responsible for the different flavour profiles of cannabis that can be zesty, sweet, sour, earthy or fruity. When choosing the right type of cannabis for your hot chocolate, think about the flavour that you want to add, and go from there.
Cannabis oil from zesty strains like Super Lemon Haze pair well with white hot chocolate, if you want to swap out dark or milk chocolate for white chocolate.
The cannabis content of the hot chocolate is entirely up to you. As with all things marijuana, start with the lowest dose. Experimentation is key to perfecting the art of making cannabis-infused hot chocolate.
Ingredients for the Best Cannabis-Infused Hot Chocolate
Yields 2 cups
- 150 g bittersweet chocolate
- 50 g milk chocolate
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 full droppers of cannabis oil
- Optional toppings such as marshmallows, vanilla, cinnamon, chocolate chunks, sprinkles, peppermint
How to Make the Best Cannabis-Infused Hot Chocolate
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk and heavy cream.
- Heat the mixture until little bubbles start to form on the side of the pot, but don’t let the mixture boil. While the mixture’s heating up, work on the next step.
- Make a bain-marie by filling a small saucepot with about 2 inches of water and heat to a boil. Meanwhile, in a glass bowl, combine the bittersweet and milk chocolate. Place the bowl with chocolate on top of the saucepot. Stir the chocolate until it starts to melt.
- Add the 1/2 cup of boiling water to the chocolate mixture slowly to avoid clumps. If you’re in a rush, you can also microwave the chocolate mixture in 30 second intervals, with lots of stirring to get a smooth consistency.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the milk mixture, whisking as you pour. Divide the mixture between two cups, add cannabis concentrate to your liking, and top generously with your selection of tasty treats.
Photo credit: Soloviova Liudmyla/Shutterstock.com