Pancake Day is almost here. Sometimes called Shrove Tuesday or Mardi Gras, Pancake Day is the celebration that precedes the Catholic tradition of fasting for Lent. Around the world, people celebrate with parties, carnivals, feasts and—you guessed it—pancakes.
Since the 16th century, people have marked Shrove Tuesday with pancakes, as this was an easy way to use up decadent foods like butter and eggs before beginning the Lenten fast.
So, what better way to mark this year’s indulgent holiday than with a special batch of homemade cannabis-infused pancakes.
Light, fluffy and covered in maple syrup, these will not only satisfy your desire for pancakes, but the cannabis is likely to spark your appetite. And what better time to get the munchies than on a holiday specifically set aside for pigging out. With a big appetite, you can feast to your heart's content for the rest of the day, packing in a few extra calories before the fast.
This recipe is for those classic thick, fluffy pancakes that you can do pretty much anything with. Stack them high, and cover them in butter and maple syrup, layer with fresh fruit and whipped cream or add just about any topping you’d like.
Ingredients for Cannabis-Infused Pancakes
- 3 tbsp cannabutter*
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup flour**
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- Whipped cream
- Fresh fruit
*Use your best judgment on dosing based on your previous experiences with marijuana edibles. If you have a lower tolerance for cannabis and want to make these infused pancakes at a lower dose, you can always substitute plain butter for part of the cannabutter to reduce its potency.
**I use bread flour for this recipe, because it adds a little more thickness and fluffiness, helping the pancakes hold their shape. If you don’t have any bread flour on hand, all-purpose flour will also work fine for this recipe. The pancakes will be just as delicious, but will have a softer, floppier consistency.
RELATED: DIY RECIPE: CANNABIS-INFUSED BUTTER
How to Make Cannabis-Infused Pancakes
- Crack your egg in a large glass mixing bowl, and beat it with a fork until the yolk and whites are fully mixed.
- Melt the cannabutter in small glass bowl (either using a microwave or double boiler), and add to the large bowl with the egg, mixing thoroughly.
- Mix in the salt, sugar and baking powder, fully combining each ingredient before adding the next. Then slowly incorporate the flour until you have a loose, crumbly mixture.
- Slowly mix in the milk, stirring your mixture until it has an even, thick and slightly sticky consistency. You should be able to mould it into a ball and have it hold its shape.
- Put your frying pan on medium heat, and use 1 tablespoon of butter to grease the pan. Then, using a tablespoon, scoop out balls of batter about twice the size of the spoon and add to the pan, flattening any that seem too thick to cook through. They should be no more than about half an inch thick.
- When you begin to see bubbles on the top of your pancake, it’s time to flip. Avoid flipping early. If you notice one side is darkening too much before it’s time to flip, lower your heat. After flipping, check the other side by looking at the colour. It should be a golden brown when it’s ready to come off the pan.
- Remove the finished pancakes from the pan, and repeat steps 5 and 6 until you’re out of batter. Serve immediately. You can top your pancakes with butter and syrup or honey for a classic pancake experience; or alternatively use whipped cream and fresh fruit to make them extra special.
Photo credit: VasiliyBudarin/Shutterstock.com