It’s Easter again, and there are so many wonderful ways to celebrate. Time for chocolate bunnies, baby chicks, Easter egg hunts and springtime flowers … and maybe some cannabis flower this year, too.
If you’re looking for a special marijuana edible recipe to honour this springtime holiday, there’s no better choice than an infused version of the classic hot cross buns.
These sweet, little rolls are packed with cinnamon and raisins, or other dried fruit, and topped with a glazed sugar cross. Hot cross buns are a traditional food for Easter, and this version is so tasty and easy to make.
It’s a quick bread recipe, so you don’t have to waste your time waiting for the dough to rise. Just mix together the ingredients, throw it in the oven, and you’ll have cannabis-infused hot buns in less than 30 minutes.
These beautiful little buns are sure to impress at your Easter celebration. Plus, a few bites of these cannabis-infused holiday treats will help melt away all of your holiday stress and make for a much more relaxed day.
RELATED: HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN GOURMET EDIBLES
Ingredients for Cannabis-Infused Hot Cross Buns
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cannabis oil**
- 1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt (don’t use regular yogurt, or the buns will be too sticky)
- 3 tbsp raisins
- 2 tbsp milk
- Oil spray for greasing pan
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
*I use all-purpose flour for this recipe, but feel free to use a gluten-free or whole-wheat flour if you prefer.
**Use your best judgment on dosing based on your previous experiences with marijuana edibles. If you have a lower tolerance to cannabis, use less cannabis oil. Whatever your normal dose would be, multiply that by nine. This recipe makes nine buns, so this will give you a normal dose in each serving.
How to Make Cannabis-Infused Hot Cross Buns
- First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease your baking sheet with oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt, whisking until thoroughly combined.
- In a small bowl, mix the yogurt and cannabis tincture together until completely incorporated.
- Add the yogurt and raisins to the dry ingredients, mixing with your spatula until well combined. At this stage of the process, your mixture should look like small crumbles of dough.
- Dust a clean work surface with flour and knead the dough a few times. Make sure that the dough is consistently mixed and add more flour to the dough if it’s too sticky. When the dough is ready, it will be tacky but not sticky (and shouldn’t get stuck to your hands).
- Divide the dough into 9 equal balls and place on the greased baking sheet. If you want the classic look of the buns all stuck together, make sure they’re close together. Or, you can spread them out.
- In a second small bowl, pour in 2 tablespoons of milk or cream. Then, using a brush or paper towel, brush the top of each bun with the milk or cream.
- Place your buns on the top rack of the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes. Then let cool for at least 30 minutes before icing.
- To make the icing, using the same small bowl you just used for milk, add the 1 remaining teaspoon of milk. Then add powdered sugar and vanilla; whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Put the icing into a small Ziplock bag, and cut off one of the corners to make a piping bag (or use piping bag if you have one).
- When the buns have cooled, squeeze the icing out the tip of the bag. Ice the tops of the bun in a cross pattern.
Photo credit: Anna Mente/Shutterstock.com